Friday, June 3, 2016

Working at Prosser Public Library 1997 (Contemporary Issues Project)














Prosser Public Library

















I really enjoyed doing Community Service.

















Contemporary Issues dealt with everyday issues in society, media, politics, and was a fun class that I took my senior year of high school.

The first thing that come to people's mind when they think of Community Service usually is that someone is working off a criminal record. That is usually the conception that people have of juvenile delinquents or people who have had criminal records. Trust me when I say this, there are a lot of people who do Community Service for voluntary work or in my case for a school project for Contemporary Issues class. It was my senior year of high school I was 18 going on 19. Contemporary Issues was a new class that was added to the high school teaching curriculum and class of 1997 had to take that class and do Community Service in order to graduate. I learned a lot from that class, me along with a lot of students learned that we not only had a new class but also a new teacher. We learned that the teacher who we was supposed to have got a better offer to be a Vice Principal at Suffield high school in Suffield. As a class we learned to adapt to our new home room teacher. Contemporary Issues was a class that dealt with issues such as discrimination of all kinds, politics, media, etc. I was getting a good feel for the class and for some reason kept delaying to do my Community Service. I was the type of student that was at my best when "my back was up against the wall" meaning I always seemed to thrive when overcoming a lot of adversity. Community Service was 1/3 (33%) of our grade and this included the self-evaluation that the director or supervisor had to do for our Community Service hours (we had to complete 24 hours of Community Service). The early people made sure that they started doing their Community Service in October of 1996, November of 1996, December of 1996, etc. I on the other hand, waited like late February of 1997 and early March of 1997 to do an assignment that was do in late April of 1997 and early May of 1997.


I am thinking that it was time for me to act very quickly if I was going to get my Community Service hours in. The assignment was worth 33% of my grade. Mathematically, in order to pass Contemporary Issues class without doing Community Service you would have to have an average of 93-100 (too much of a gamble to risk chancing). My average in Contemporary Issues was 70-73 and I was thinking about how hard I worked in summer school in 1996 to make up for failing 2 of the 4 classes my Junior year of high school. I decided to make an appointment and meet with the director at Prosser Public Library in Bloomfield. The woman I will never forget her name was Elaine (not quite sure of her last name) and Elaine had a chance to explain to me what I would be doing while doing my 24 hours of Community Service. I would be in charge of shelving books, magazines, and videos in alphabetical order by last names and titles. Elaine mentioned to me about doing a sign in/out sheet where I would sign in every time I came to the library and sign out every time I was done that particular day.  I was very eager to work because I had a little less than 2 months to complete my Community Service and I gave Elaine my self-evaluation paper that she had to fill out on how well or not well I was working at the Library. Once I started working I remember working 1 1/2 hours for the first time I was working at the library and my hours gradually increased every time I went to Prosser Public Library. I finished off my Community Service hours by doing consecutive 8 hours from 9 AM-5 PM on Friday and Saturday. One of the Librarians noticed how hard I was working and offered to pay me for my service. I kindly told her "no" because I had to work at the library for my Community Service. By the time I was done with my Community Service, it took me approximately 3 weeks to complete 24 hours. Elaine, the director of the library wrote such a really good self-evaluation about me, it looked like a letter of recommendation. Elaine complimented on how eager I was at working at the library and getting in my 24 hours of Community Service, on how hard I was working at the library, and on how much I did a very good job shelving books, magazines, and videos in a very well organized way in alphabetical order, and on how I did all that was asked of me. I was so glad to complete Community Service and I wound up getting an 80 (I had a 78 but the teacher was convinced to give me 2 extra points for working so hard). My senior year I graduated along with 112 classmates with B's and C's at 19 on June 13, 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment